Europe Bakery and Deli

Bakery: Europe Bakery and Deli
Address: 2552 Shaughnessy St, Port Coquitlam BC
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian, European
Price: $

Intent on improving my bakery coverage in Metro Vancouver, I headed to this busy old-school bakery on PoCo's main street, mostly because it looked the most promising from online photos. I mean, a wide array of pan-European baked goods with doughnuts, danishes... and were those poppy seed treats I saw? Why, yes, of course I came for the poppy seed, but to my horror there were not only no poppy seed buns, but the bakery was totally emptied out. It looked like the end of the world was descending and yet there were still tons of people buying out whatever there was left. Suffice to say, it's a really popular place. Whether that's owing to the taste and quality of their products or just their really good prices is what I want to know.
I was kind of in a take it or leave it situation; I had to make due with the Copenhagen square ($1.55), because it was one of two sweet items left behind. There were also a few muffins which I did try - not Cake Tour material, but they were very good. Luckily for me, though, I happen to like Copenhagen squares and this one was just right: nice flaky pastry, not too crunchy, not too soft, with a good amount of custard cream sandwiched between the two layers. I also liked the drizzle of icing on top. The only minus? Those darn raisins! Would have been better if I didn't have to pick those out....

Maybe next time I'll come earlier and be able to score some of those doughnuts or poppy seed baked goods?

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment