Penguin Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Penguin Bakery 
Address: 7 Chome-1-1 Minami 11 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Website: https://www.penguinbakery.com/
Style: Japanese 
Price: $$ 

Penguin Bakery is a small chain of bakeries located in and around Sapporo. With its blue and white decor, adorable emperor? penguin as their logo and open counter/cafe space, Penguin Bakery is aiming for a more cheery, unpretentious look than many local bakeries. That's not to say they only have simple buns and bread; amid their islands and baked goods, they had a lovely assortment of classic Japanese buns, doughnuts along with flaky French pastries.
Their signature, without a doubt, are their super cute mini melon pan (80 yen), available with either animal faces or the Mr. Penguin from their logo on top. Naturally, I had to take the elegant penguin with his little bowtie. ^^ Unlike usual melon pan, this bun didn't have much of a topping/crust; instead, it was almost like a sugar cookie was stuck on top of a plain sweet bun. The taste and texture of the two components were completely different. In truth, I looked the penguin cookie a lot more than bun, which was too airy and bland for my liking.
I was perfectly content with this one purchase when I spotted the kouign amann (220 yen) and everyone knows: if I see a kouign amann, I have to try it. This one was the first I'd seen presented as a sort of hot dog bun: long, narrow and rather squat. The taste was pretty good, though perhaps the butter used was too salty (already encountered in Japan) and it wasn't as flaky as it looked; it was more on the soft side, like pseudo-danish dough. My one big thing against it was the caramelized sugar top which had this funny syrupy/jam-like? consistency. Had I not known what it was, I would have probably never called it a kouign amann; definitely not the best I've had. But how can you resist the cute penguin?!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment