Gu Ja Yun Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Gu Ja Yun Bakery (구자윤과자점)
Address: 445-6 Suyeong-dong, Suyeong-gu, Busan
Website: n/a
Style: Korean
Price: $$

A little off the beaten path for a casual passerby, I myself am wondering how I ended up at this bakery.... Nevertheless, Gu Ja Yun has one of the more impressive selections I saw on my trip to Busan: their shelves were fully stocked not only with sweet and savoury buns, an interesting array of rustic breads and bagged cookies, but also included cake slices and more intricate pastries. One bonus was that they had a lot of samples set out among their many products - it is hard to resist grabbing something when free samples are on hand. ;)
At some point, you get tired of typical Korean buns and I wanted to change things up a little bit. I decided to try out a slice of cheesecake. It was fresh and I was pretty surprised at how soft the whole thing was. In some ways, it wasn't what I'd call a typical cheesecake: the dough was soft, just a thin, bread-like layer on the bottom. Atop this, there was a cheesy mass that was thick and malleable. The nuts were a nice touch, but I couldn't help dispel the impression of a bagel with cream cheese. Too cheesy, not sweet enough?
The second item was what I'm calling, for lack of a better name, a strawberry cheese shortcake (3,500 won) - and yes, I realized only afterwards how bad the photo for this item was. That alone is enough of a description. With the soft shortcake crust, it was pretty hard to distinguish what was inside until I cracked it open. Inside, it was a messy mass of red fruit jam and rich, slightly cheesy cream, though I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be cheesy. Pretty good in taste, but not the greatest - which could be said of the bakery as a whole.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment