Bostonbake [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Bostonbake (ボストンベイク)
Address: 10 Chome, Minami 1 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Website: n/a
Style: Japanese 
Price:

I don't know what Boston in particular knows about baking or what the name is supposed to mean, for that matter, but Bostonbake is a small Sapporo bakery with a handful of locations scattered throughout the city.  What sets Bostonbake apart is its large selection - the sheer number of doughnuts or cream-filled pastries alone was jaw-dropping - and its amazing prices. With almost everything ranging from 100-200 yen and plenty of options under 100, you can afford to get more than one item; actually, I think this was the tastiest super well-priced bakery I encountered in Hokkaido - definitely bang for your buck.
One highlight for me had to be twist doughnut with glaze (55 yen!!); while there were other varieties available including powdered sugar, cinnamon and chocolate, this hand-sized doughnut had the perfect glaze that complemented the fresh, chewy dough. This was so good - one of my first baked goods on this trip and one of the best ones.
The melon pan (100 yen) was perhaps a little less exceptional, though it too was fresh and the more I ate it, the more I appreciated the slightly chewy "melon" top. I never like when my melon pan get too soft or soggy - this one had the harder outside and soft inside with good, more subtle flavours. One of the highest rated bakeries in Sapporo - for me, at any rate.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment