Gamcheon Moonlight Donuts [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Gamcheon Moonlight Donuts
Address: 2-312 Gamcheon-dong, Saha-gu, Busan, South Korea
Website: n/a
Style: Korean, Doughnuts 
Price: $-$$

Gamcheon Moonlight Donuts really is trying its best to create hype for itself: even before you enter Gamcheon Cultural Village, there are advertisements on buses, arrows pointing the way as though this were the main attraction in the area. The indications are everywhere, so you're almost expecting crowds to be flocking to this cute little doughnut shop. To my surprise no one was really there, though there were definitely plenty waiting to take pictures of themselves along the way. -_- Hype creation backfired? Or is it simply that deep down no one really likes "chapssal (glutinous rice) doughnuts"?
In truth, I also don't like chapssal doughnuts. XD So after all the indicators pointing me in the right direction, I'll confess I was disappointed to find that these mini doughnuts are referring to the chewy, traditional Korean rice flour kind. Of course, they're aiming for something more with about half a dozen gourmet flavours that include mostly nuts, seeds and honey.
I tried the black rice with five different kinds of nuts (1100 won) and, naturally, an original with organic sugar (900 won). Plain are always best for determining a rating and despite my clear bias going into this place, these were actually pretty good. The good thing about them was that they weren't too big, so you had some of that crispy, golden crust with each bite. The inside wasn't overly chewy and I liked that perfect amount of sweetness in both. I also liked that nuts really did mean nuts - they really didn't skimp out!

I'm not sure if listening to classical music during fermentation helped, but these were by far the best chapssal doughnuts I've had.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment