Forêt Noire Pâtisserie

Bakery: Forêt Noire Pâtisserie
Address: 236 W Broadway, Vancouver BC 
Website: https://www.foretnoirepatisserie.com
Style: European, Canadian 
Price: $$ 

With my fair share of patisserie experience in the city of Vancouver, I'll admit that Forêt Noire, with its large airy space, wall of elaborate, though not entirely French, pastries and overly commercialized website (the registered trademark and "locations" with just one store screams franchise wannabe) appears more ambitious that it actually is. In reality, the selection consists of an array of French baked goods as well as pretty cakes and tarts available as individual desserts or larger cakes at surprisingly reasonable prices for the area. A patisserie with several options at under $5 - unthinkable! Even I was amazed. Then, however, it got me thinking; maybe it's reasonably priced because it's not as good? This needed investigating.
Due to transport concerns, I didn't want a delicate mousse cake or anything that could fall apart easily; I was also not in the mood for any sort of flaky baked goods. The apple pie ($3.50) looked intriguing. I do like apple pie, but I find it's usually hit or miss. Especially the apple filling. I have to confess that upon initial inspection I was having my doubts; it looked a little too doughy and dry, but after cracking it open with a fork - quite literally - I was impressed by the flavourful cooked apple filling and the texture and taste of the shortbread pie shell. Not too sweet, not gloopy at all, but at the same time with actual substance to it. I liked it!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment