Hans Bread [Mimi's World Tour]

 Bakery: Hans Bread (한스브레드)
Address: 274-1 Gyo-dong, Wansan-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do
Website: n/a 
Style: Korean 
Price: $$-$$$

Intent now on creating the gourmet Jeonju chocopie challenge, I was initially disappointed that this tiny bakery, with barely enough room for more than one person to stand in, doesn't seem to participate in the whole chocopie craze. Good for them, I say, but there went a third contestant in my challenge.... Hans Bread seems to specialize in loaves of bread stuffed with the typical sweet bean fillings. Beyond this, selection was fairly limited and included croissants, flaky pastries, a handful of baked goods, meringues and packs of cookies. They offer lots of free samples - which gets a little annoying when you have people crowding into the already crammed space with no intention of buying anything.
I, however, had every intention of buying something... I just didn't quite know what. In the end, I decided to try their cheesecake (5,500 won); it wasn't something I had often while in Korea, so here was my chance. A bit pricey for the size of the cake, especially in comparison to standard bakery prices, but that can also be a good sign too. The taste and texture were good: the cake was nice and fluffy with a spongy softness. Personally, I felt it was almost more like a sponge cake than a cheesecake - it could have definitely benefited from more cheese in the dough!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment