Sleepy Owl Bread


Bakery: Sleepy Owl Bread
Address: 751 Wall St, Winnipeg MB 
Style: Canadian, European
Price: $$ 
 
Despite its location in a more industrial area,  Sleepy Owl is anything but sleepy. This small, yet busy bakery may be predominantly bread-oriented, but they still have an adequate selection of European-inspired pastries such as croissants, pains au chocolat and danishes with a varieties of appetizing fruit fillings. In recent times, I've noticed a total nosedive in terms of customer service, so Sleepy Owl also gets bonus points for their friendly and welcoming staff - thanks for making me feel like you actually want me there! 
Nevertheless, I picked out their prairie berry danish ($4.00). The filling definitely sounded the most interesting, though I'm not exactly sure what constitutes prairie berry. I think those were saskatoon berries in there, but other than that, it was hard to pinpoint - nonetheless, it was tasty! Pure cooked fruit with a good amount of sweetness. Honestly, all danish fillings should be this good. My big issue was the dough and, in a danish, dough is key. It was layered and flaky, but super, almost surprisingly so chewy. Sometimes you encounter these extra chewy, nearly impossible to bite off breads such as ciabatta, but the texture wasn't as welcome in a danish. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment