Pu Jei [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Pu Jei
Address: No. 200, Chenggong Rd, North District, Tainan
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 

If there's one bakery in Tainan with hype, it's Pu Jei. I had a very hard time wrapping my head around the insanity that surrounded this bakery; I simply didn't see anything unique or remarkable about it. Alright, maybe I can say it's above average in terms of the variety and quality of the baked goods. They also have a wide range of gift sets, but many bakeries do. So what is with the crazed hordes of people, running around and loading their trays to the brim with baked goods? The atmosphere was downright apocalyptic. And right in the middle of the crowd, there was the worker arranging items along the middle aisle and getting angry whenever someone wanted to grab something near her. Check-out was equally erratic, with my purchase tossed to the other end of the counter and my money accepted without even acknowledging I existed. Maybe because I didn't load my tray to the brim with baked goods? Suffice to say, there is literally a handful of bakeries on the Cake Tour that even mention awful service, let alone get penalized for it. I want good food, I don't care about service, but Pu Jei honestly deserves a half-star off. It was *that* off-putting. 
Not really getting the chance to fully examine what they had to offer, I took the first thing that looked good and different from the usual bakery fare. That was the milk bread french toast or something like that ($30). I've had similar items before like this, a slice of bread fried and then rolled with sugar, so I was expecting a nice crunch on the outside, a little bit of that oil penetrating into the dough and a soft inside. A little sweet, a little greasy - it's like a doughnut, but in the form of a slice of bread. This did not really deliver those kinds of results. Despite its golden exterior, the toasting added nothing to it and the texture was too similar to that of a normal slice of bread. This should have been way more rich, though the taste wasn't bad. 

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment