甘本堂 [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: 甘本堂蛋糕烘焙坊 (Ganbentang Cake Bakery)
Address: No. 35 Minsheng Road, Section 1, West Central District, Tainan
Website: facebook
Style: Chinese
Price: $$  

This was actually my first bakery stop in Tainan. I came here straight from the train station, suitcase and all. Well, the bakery is quite tony, so the suitcase had to wait outside, but it was definitely an unplanned stop; however, it was hard to walk past a window laden with sweet baked goods and cookies. After all, unlike the vast majority of bakeries I encountered in Taiwan (and simply Chinese bakeries in general), the focus here wasn't on the meat and cheese buns - it was on the sweet stuff. I guess that's what "cake bakery" means?? Nonetheless, most of the items at this bakery were of the sweet kind: buns, packs of biscuits, silly cakes, all heavy on cream, custard and pastel colours. Perhaps a little too heavy, at times.... 
Trying to keep it a little more on the light side, especially given it was a breakfast item, I grabbed the cocoa bun ($30). At least, I think it was a cocoa bun. That's what I could pick up from the description; however, I had a hard time making that connection in terms of taste. With so many thin, cocoa-coloured layers throughout, it should have been more obvious. Still, the dough was good in both texture and flavour. Never really think peanuts are good as a garnish, but overall, I was satisfied with this treat and bakery as a whole.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment