Current River Bakery


Bakery: Current River Bakery
Address: 301 Grenville Av, Thunder Bay ON
Style: Finnish, Canadian
Price: $$-$$$ 

As a lover of Finnish baked goods, this bakery has been on my must-visit list since my last cross-country drive a few years ago. At that time, I had two Finnish bakeries I had missed; now, only one remains. Current River was strangely barren, almost dismal in its emptiness, despite the fact I actually came in the morning. There was no one around, the shelves had a few packaged items and the selection of fresh baked goods such as classic Finnish baked goods and doughnuts was just as sparse. It was, to be quite honest, depressing and everything pointed to a steady lack of customers - WHY do people not support bakeries?! It makes me so mad! 
I had to give the korvapuusti (labelled here as cardamom buns) a try. Usually these are considered cinnamon buns, so I was a little surprised that there was no cinnamon in them at all. The aroma of that cardamom was incredible though. I love cardamom. The dough, however, was a bit on the dry/dense side. I would have preferred it a little more moist and easier to just rip apart and eat it up. Not too sweet, freshly baked and fragrant - had I ever missed my Finnish buns! Not pictured were their jam pigs - Finnish jelly doughnuts - which likewise had this dense, drier style dough and didn't have that greasy, jam-filled goodness encountered in other Finnish bakeries, so it personally wasn't my favourite. Nonetheless: keep bakeries in business! 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment