San-Ho Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: San-ho Bakery (三和食品店)
Address: No. 445, Zhongshan Road, West District, Chiayi 
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 
 
My second stop in Chiayi was San-ho, a busy bakery with a delightful retro vibe. I mean, check out that sign! You'll encounter slightly rundown bakeries that have been there many a year all over Taiwan, but you just can't find these "well-preserved" old-school shops in the bigger cities. In keeping with the overall atmosphere, they have plenty of traditional cakes along with the usual Westernized bread varieties. 
I really wasn't planning on it, but their sugar ring doughnut ($25) was calling out to me. It may not look that pretty, but honestly, it's not easy to find these in Chinese bakeries anywhere (anymore) and I do love them so. ^^; I'm not sure if this one really qualifies as a ring doughnut, though. The hole appears to have grown in somewhere along the way... it was a little flat, with not enough fluffy dough on the inside, but it was a good one. Classic, simple and good - that's what you expect from an established bakery like this. My pick for best in Chiayi. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment