Golestan Bakery

Bakery: Golestan Bakery
Address: 1755 Robson St, Vancouver BC 
Website: n/a
Style: Persian
Price: $$$ 
 
There are some bakeries where the name alone just brings that sparkle to your eyes and everything else in life simply vanishes upon the memory of whatever delectable treat you had. Yes, it doesn't happen often. Actually, it hardly ever happens, which can be evidenced by how few 4-star bakeries there are on my little blog. In this case, however, one word is needed to transport me back to bliss: zolbia. Zolbia from Golestan, to be exact. Whoa, and here we go... *-*
When it comes to Middle Eastern and Indian pastries, I'm such a sucker for what I universally call jalebi, though of course they have different names depending on the country and language. I just love these golden yellow/orange spirals of syrup-soaked fried dough and in my opinion Persian zolbia are the best in terms of style. So when I spotted the zolbia at Golestan - a bakery originally from North Vancouver with a newer location on Robson - among their wide array of traditional pastries and cookies (all sold by weight) in addition to a few more universal treats like chocolate cake, I knew I had to try them. These zolbia ($5.15 for three) didn't look like anything particularly remarkable, but that first bite was incredible and it only got better from there. They had the perfect texture: super chewy with a mild crisp on the outside, just the right amount of sugar syrup inside and out. They were so good, to the point where I couldn't stop until I'd eaten everything. Wow, these changed my mind about how I see these simple pastries. The best ones I've ever had!

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment