Baker and Table

Bakery: Baker and Table
Address: 6414 Fraser St, Vancouver BC
Style: Japanese
Price: $$ 
 
 I can't believe that I was putting off this visit for so long, simply because this charming little Japanese spot wasn't really a bakery, but a cafe. Because let's be honest: cafes usually don't have the variety bakeries do and, a lot of the time, they're simply not up to par. Baker and Table, on the other hand, had a surprising selection - not huge, but definitely more than I expected - of dainty cake slices and absolutely adorable melon bread in a variety of characters. Unfortunately, the latter is a bit pricey for a bun (and almost all the flavours have mochi inside x_x), so I found it better value to just grab a slice of cake. And their cake really is good. 
 
I took two slices on my initial trip: the eggless kabocha cheesecake and yuzu cheesecake (both $6 each), which got me the comment from the lady behind the counter "you must really love cheesecake". If you could sum me up in one line, that one could work just fine. Because yes, I do. XD I was really curious to try the kabocha, especially since I do like pumpkin cakes and find they're not very common (when doing the mini cheesecake challenge in Japan, squash ended up winning as well). I was a little wary of the eggless part and, indeed, the texture of the cheese mass was a little too dense and lacking that Japanese fluffiness I love, though it eventually got to me and I was able to enjoy the rich, delicately spiced flavour of the squash. Unfortunately, it also tasted a little stale, especially along one side?
 
The yuzu cheesecake, on the other hand, was amazing! Fresh and creamy, it literally melted in your mouth and the yuzu flavour perfectly complemented the slight sourness of the cheese. Not too sweet, not too overpowering, this really impressed. Up to this point, I've tried yuzu cheesecake at three spots in Vancouver and Baker and Table takes first place, hands down. It's no wonder that that same lady's farewell remark was "everything is better with cheese" - if it's Japanese cheesecake, you bet! 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment