Zoë's Bakery and Cafe

Bakery: Zoë's Bakery and Cafe
Address: 250 Main St, Ucluelet BC
Website: http://www.zoesbakeryandcafe.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

From Victoria, I went to the Pacific Coast -- the Pacific Rim, in fact. Ucluelet and Tofino were the next stops for my Cake Tour (and for me as well ^^) and now, I am not technically, but officially Pacific to Atlantic coast! I intended to do a rather grand, possibly overly ambitious day trip in Ucluelet and walk to the lighthouse, review the sole bakery in town, and see as much of the coast as possible. This failed, mostly due to the insane torrent of rain that welcomed me upon stepping off the bus (the rain did stop completely and I didn't exactly notice right away... oh well). One plan that did *not* fail was the trip to local bakery in Ucluelet: Zoe's, which will always evoke memories of the staff dancing to Stan Rogers blasting throughout the bakery. ^^

 It was a very rainy Sunday afternoon and this apparently did not bode well for the selection in-store. Those "famous" cinnamon buns were nothing more than an empty plate, and any mention of anything else was confined to the big chalkboard on one wall. The shelves of bread and savoury goods were even empty. Their take on Nanaimo bars was intriguing (they had samples by the cash... mmm, with that berry filling and chunky nuts, they were gooood), but I came from the bus absolutely starving  and wanted something more filling and "healthy" than a chocolate square.
So I opted for the apple pie ($4.95). I was told that the last remaining piece turned out smaller than usual and that they would give me a discount; I ended up paying $2.99, which was nice of them, but also I was so hungry I probably would have preferred the bigger piece for more. .____. Anyways, I was also a little disappointed that I wasn't asked if I wanted my pie heated... I mean, you always eat pie warmed up, don't you? I do. The taste was good: perfectly cooked and very tasty apple filling loaded with oats and crumble on top, all in a yummy pie shell. The crumble on top was a bit blackened, affecting the taste a little, and I would have liked more apples in it as well, but a good pie and a good break from the rain.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment