Venezia Bakery

Bakery: Venezia Bakery 
Address: 114 Ossington Ave, Toronto ON 
Website: http://www.veneziabakery.ca/
Style: Portuguese 
Price:

Don't let the name fool you -- Venezia is actually a Portuguese bakery, with an assortment of classic Portuguese baked goods ranging from those famous custard tarts to coconut buns, cake slices and tarts. Their prices are very reasonable -- and if you want to have some tasty baked goods in the area that are "bang" for your buck, this is without a doubt the place to go.
They have two types of coconut buns (I believe both items were $1.75 each; at any rate, the total price with tax was $3.50); this one was said to be softer. It featured a soft, sweet bread dough on the bottom that was topped with a coconut crumble. The topping was very good and was generous all around, even a little excessive compared to the bread underneath. The dough itself was, I thought, a bit too airy for this type of baked good. I kind of expected a denser dough. The lighter dough got a little dry, very quickly, but it was tasty and definitely not skimpy on that coconut. O.O
The highlight had to be this baby, though. The "Portuguese toast". I have a soft spot for these soaked slices of fried toast which are then coated in cinnamon and sugar... not many bakeries have them and when they do, you know I'm going to be there to try them! :P The moment I saw this, I knew it was going to be a good one; and appearances don't lie. The BEST piece of Portuguese fried toast I've found. Perfectly fried, wonderfully soaked, amazing texture that is neither dry nor soggy -- this was the gem of the day! *-*

If it weren't for that coconut bun, I would have given this place a higher rating. Next time, however, will be toast time!!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment