Boulangerie Guillaume

Bakery: Boulangerie Guillaume 
Address: 5134 boulevard St-Laurent, Montreal QC
Website: facebook
Style: French
Price: $$ 

It gives me such pleasure to admire the creativity some bakeries have in terms of decor, though I find that most (who try ;)) fall into one of three categories: modern minimalist white, cute and dainty, or old-world class. Guillaume takes the perennial Montreal construction work off the street and into the bakery -- fittingly, the sidewalk was torn up and blockaded just outside the door. :D Industrial with touches of sheet metal, industrial lighting and yellow accents, this seems to match more a hardware store than a bakery. And with all items housed on one long wall and workers standing behind the low counter, ready to grab whatever you need, there's something decidedly old-school about it as well. 
One thing is that they don't have that many sweet baked goods with the exception of French classics such as croissants and chocolatines. Their focus is without a doubt bread, and so they have sweet breads in some interesting flavours, but I had a hard time picking something, especially considering that I wanted it for the following day. Loaf cakes were a little big and pricey and anything yeast-based would go stale, so I settled on the pudding, bread pudding ($2.25). Did I say I have a soft spot for bread pudding? ^^;; This was heavy and full of yummy, buttery dough; personally, I thought the pieces of chocolate a little too big and overpowering given the size and would have probably preferred less chocolate and more bread pudding. :P I had mine on the go, but I'm sure it would have been even better had it been heated... mmm, that must be good! *-*

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment