The Boss Bakery

Bakery: The Boss Bakery & Restaurant
Address: 532 Main St, Vancouver BC
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price:

My second stop in Vancouver's Chinatown, I found The Boss, like New Town, more restaurant than bakery, with most customers going directly to the booths in the back. The bakery portion was all either inside or on top of two display cases; there was very little selection and, with the exception of a few mousse cakes, products were limited to sweet and savoury buns. No cookies, no pastries; no black bean or red bean anything. I had a hard time deciding on what to take, simply because there was so little to choose from; essentially, the only reason I didn't just give up on the trip was because I was the only one at the bakery counter and felt bad walking out on the friendly worker. :/
So, though I don't usually get this, I thought the most promising sweet bun was the coconut bun ($1.35; the price tag said $1.00, which doesn't correspond to added taxes or anything O.o) This was a tasty bun with soft, moist dough with tons of shredded coconut rolled in, which is hard to find, so you had flavourful coconut with every bite; nevertheless, the dough was fresh and had nice texture, so it would have been alright had there been dry areas. A simple, pleasant treat that managed to redeem Chinatown bakeries (a little). ;)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment