Antonio Mattei [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Biscottificio Antonio Mattei 
Address: Via Bettino Ricasoli 20, Prato
Website: http://www.antoniomattei.it
Style: Italian, Cookies
Price: $$-$$$ 

Considering that this is not a bakery, per se, but a larger scale cookie shop sold in multiple locations and online, I momentarily thought of not doing a review of it. Then I noticed that I had made a "Tuscany" tag just for these two posts and thought... have I lost my mind? Of course I'll do a review! (and because they were good; had they not been...) :D Nevertheless, this is my final stop on my 2016 World Tour... it was a wild one and it was so much fun. These biscuits, like a great many stops on this year's World Tour, were courtesy of the Cake Fairy. Thank you -- grazie -- for your generous contributions to the Cake Tour. :)
As the name states, Antonio Mattei is a downright historic biscottificio - a manufacturer of biscuits. Of course their most famous are their biscotti, but they have countless other classic Italian cookies made with simple ingredients and packed in their signature blue bags. Just so you have an idea, a 500g bag of cookies costs 10. It is also possible to purchase cookies individually (in-store only).
So, I had two biscuits for the sampling: the classic biscotti di Prato, small finger-sized biscotti loaded with halved almonds that added a chewy texture and fantastic flavour to these otherwise simple cookies. The reason I often don't like biscotti is because there's too much dough, but this was like 50/50: plenty of nuts paired with fragrant dough. I can't even say which I preferred: the biscotti or the "Brutti buoni": larger cookie balls that were good enough with the crunchy top and chewy, milky white layer of meringue on the bottom... and then you hit the middle stuffed with ground almonds to make nearly a paste. Mmmmm.... I haven't had Italian biscuits I liked until this moment -- this is most certainly worth trying. Maybe they'll even ship to me? ^-^

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment