Common Loaf Bake Shop

Bakery: Common Loaf Bake Shop 
Address: 180 First St, Tofino BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

Two nights in Tofino meant more baked goods to review along the Pacific coast -- oh, the joys! ;) The main baked goods destination in town is Common Loaf, a wholesome (can I please just say "hippie"?) bakery specializing in healthier lunch and sweets options along with countless products catering to those with special diets. They also baked with organic and/or locally sourced ingredients; many treats, for example, are sweetened with Vancouver Island honey. Other notable products included muffins, cookies, and Tofino bars ("better than Nanaimo"); all are priced and labelled.
 I hadn't had one lately, so I took one of my favourite baked goods: the cinnamon bun, or "cinnie" as this bakery calls them ($3.75). As mentioned above, the cinnamon buns were sweetened with local honey and were without a doubt the healthiest cinnamon buns I've seen, with a drier cinnamon "mass" rolled around dough dotted with sunflower seeds and coated with a honey glaze. It was a nice change from overly sweet and heavily frosted (see following review) buns, and you could really taste the cinnamon, though I think a little more honey or anything to moisten the cinnamon and dough would make it even better. I was saying that maybe the sunflower seeds didn't match to someone with uh, hippie tendencies and he exclaimed that the cinnamon bun looked and sounded "so good". Well then, I rest my case. ;D

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment