Verslunin Albína [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Verslunin Albína 
Address: Aðalstræti 89, Patreksfirði 
Website: n/a 
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

I always feel like a new part of Iceland needs to be discovered with each successive trip; this time, I finally went to the Westfjords. I had been dreaming and hoping for years and I at last had the chance to see one of the most beautiful parts of the country... and visit a few bakeries while I was at it. ;) There are, essentially, very few towns in the Westfjords, but the two "larger" centres both happened to have what I was after. The first review is coming from the small town of Patreksfjörður. I actually knew about this place a few weeks in advance; I spotted a plastic bag in the guesthouse trash can and the word "bakarí" and the little map captivated me. I absolutely had to go to this place! And I did. ^^ 
 Albína is a mini supermarket in a somewhat bleak white building and probably the only real food store for a while; they have a bit of everything, from coffee to hot dogs to groceries to... baked goods! Yes, sandwiched in one corner next to the cash is a display case of classic Icelandic baked goods, savoury (like the cheese bun above) and sweet: from kleinur, Icelandic doughnuts, to cinnamon buns to danishes. After a miserable night outside or a long drive, this is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. ;) ((Sadly, no one in my small group thought so; I was the only one who bought anything from the bakery. *sighs* Bakery haters....))
I took the cinnamon "snail" (350kr). This cinnamon bun was what I would call more "Danish-style" and rarely found in Icelandic bakeries; that is, the dough is not a fluffy and bready, but flaky like... danishes. This one was a little too brittle and browned on the perimeter, but once I peeled off the outer ring, it was the perfect combination of flaky dough on the top and bottom and soft dough on the inside. Only the complete centre had enough cinnamon for my taste, but nonetheless it was a very good treat (and I loved the caramel icing!) to enjoy on an absolutely stunning drive! 

Rating: ***  

No comments:

Post a Comment