Bis la boulange

Bakery: Bis la boulange
Address: 48 Rue Fraser, Rivière-du-Loup QC
Website: http://www.bislaboulange.com/
Style: French, Canadian 
Price: $$-$$$ 

The road trip was drawing to a close at this point, but that didn't mean there weren't more bakeries to be done. ^^ (Actually there are so many bakeries I had to miss on just the route between Quebec City and New Brunswick that I'll have to go back and do it thoroughly) There are actually quite a few bakeries in Rivière-du-Loup and I pretty much just picked this one due its easy access from the highway... this kind of backfired since I took the wrong highway exit and ended up going through the downtown, but during an attempt to turn around, I ended up right at the bakery, so it did work out! ^^

Bis la boulange is a quaint, open-concept bakery that have an L-shaped counter of sweet and savoury goods that are kind of all over the place, with some baked goods in the bread area, others on the opposite side. Just like some things were labelled and priced, others not (I always dislike that since I have no idea what to call these things in French...), but in either case, there weren't that many baked goods and the most interesting, the caramel roll ($2.95) ended up being the final purchase. 
 This was the first time I had seen something like this: braided down spun into a circle with the centre filled with a dulce de leche-like caramel sauce. This caramel sauce was pretty much only on top, with the dough being otherwise just a sweet, bready dough, not quite the flakier French dough I was expecting. Normally, perhaps, I would have been disappointed, but in this case, I... well, thought the outer rings were the best part. The caramel was too sweet, thick and concentrated; in the end, I scraped off most of it and just ate the bun. Not the best choice on my part. :/   

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment