Le pain dans les voiles

Bakery: Le pain dans les voiles
Address: 357 Rue de Castelnau E, Montréal QC
Website: http://lepaindanslesvoiles.com/
Style: French, Canadian
Price: $$ 

I was recently in Montreal for a few days and, being thoroughly acquainted with the city and not having a film festival to take up my time as it usually does, I thought I would devote my stay to... cake touring! And it was a resounding success, numbers-wise. 18 bakeries, 15 of which were never before sampled. That's right 15 bakeries. In 5 days. Should I even be admitting this? .___. As a way to somewhat vindicate myself, I did get a little... sick of baked goods, but it was all for the sake of the Cake Tour! (The Cake Tour that only I really care about, but let's not think about that too much... I'll get my all expenses paid bakery trips one day! Oh yes, it'll happen -- mwa ha ha!)  

This time around, I simply explored: turning down streets with stores on them and more often than not encountering a bakery. I was so successful with this strategy that I actually had to turn down bakeries (after the fourth, you need to draw the line); unthinkable! That being said, my first cake tour did come about from doing a little research beforehand (any bakeries walking distance from Jean Talon market?), so I came down Castelnau with a purpose!
Le pain dans les voiles is a neighbourhood artisan bakery whose main focus is rustic bread; they have quite the selection while the sweets, though not too shabby in their own right, are relegated off to the side. These include classic viennoiseries like croissants, pain au chocolat, almond croissants, abricotines. Along with this, they had a few muffins, brownies, some cookies, and scones. In some ways, a little bit of everything and not necessarily falling into one specific style. 

Naturally, I couldn't resist some flaky, buttery French dough, this time taking the cinnamon bun ($2.75). This was indeed perfectly flaky, and yet still with a lot of substance. It wasn't as buttery as I would have liked it and a bit too dry in terms of the cinnamon filling towards the outside, but upon peeling off the first few layers, the bun was flavourful and simply a great example of this style of cinnamon bun. Another hit! ;) 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment