La Miche Dorée

Bakery: La Miche Dorée
Address: 937 rue Bélanger E, Montréal QC
Website: http://www.lamichedoree.com/
Style: French, Canadian 
Price: $$ 

This is another bakery I randomly stumbled upon and was quite happy I did. La Miche Dorée is an artisan bakery whose focus is on rustic "healthy breads" baked with a variety of grains and available in a large assortment of shapes and types. Less prominent is their sweets section, which also seems to concentrate on healthier options like muffins, cookies, and multigrain biscuits. They do have some baked goods (viennoiseries), but especially during time of purchase this was limited to croissants, almond croissants and chocolatines (pains au chocolat), none of which I'm particularly fond of. I must confess I was even thinking of walking out because I couldn't make up my mind when a worker noticed me... and I can't leave when addressed. I will not stoop so low.
Anyways, there was item that was neither labelled nor priced and this attracted my attention. Asking what it was, the worker explained that it was some sort of almond square ($3.15 with tax; sorry, I forgot the exact words, I must have been in happy-shock XD) with a flaky dough bottom, pastry cream, an almond cake layer and slivered almonds on top. I obviously agreed a little too excitedly: the worker could tell from the ways my eyes were glowing that I would take it. There is something so incredibly... embarrassing about this. -__-

But I did take it and the almond square was... heavenly. The description is one thing, but biting into moist cake, delicious cream, and a buttery and flaky, slightly chewy bottom, all with the delicate taste of almonds, is entirely another. Mmm... this was so tasty! I personally would have liked more selection in-store, but I shouldn't be too harsh -- I made an excellent decision!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment