Kaffihús Bakarans [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kaffihús Bakarans
Address: Ísafjörður
Website: n/a 
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $  

It can be fair to say that my trip to the Westfjords and to its "capital" Ísafjörður was a miserable one, from the horrendous weather to the constant impression that the small group I was with thoroughly disliked me (and much as I try, my impressions are usually right...). Even the overnight stay at a nearby guesthouse was strangely unpleasant, despite the comfy bed, but the scenery was spectacular and the bakeries came like beacons of hope. Coming in from the rain into Bakarans and seeing a warm cafe literally filled with baked goods was almost like a mirage; you couldn't believe it was  real! :D 

That being said, I can't remember the last time I walked into an Icelandic bakery and saw so many baked goods! More often than not, the shelves are a little empty or selection limited to the basic classics; this place was heaping with sweets: several varieties of cinnamon buns, danishes, doughnuts, long danishes. They were in the display cases, piled on top on places -- it was beautiful! *-* Not to mention the fact that it was really well priced; when was the last time I went anywhere in Iceland and most baked goods cost under 300kr? Wow!
It took a long time to decide (and doubtless that aforementioned group was getting annoyed with me), but I finally settled for the cinnamon twist (265kr; and yes, they had others): fresh, fluffy yeast dough knotted and rolled to make four little cinnamon rolls in one. This was then drizzled with vanilla and caramel icing. Great amount of cinnamon that you could taste with every bite; good dough, but definitely something that has to be eaten within a few hours of purchase to really enjoy. If not fresh, it certainly would not have tasted so great. 

A great bakery... I'm only sad that I didn't have the freedom or time (it was Sunday and the other one was closed) to do the other one in town. :( 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment