Haymishe Bagel Shop

Bakery: Haymishe Bagel Shop
Address: 3031 Bathurst St, North York ON
Website: n/a 
Style: Jewish, Eastern European 
Price: $$$

Haymishe is back! I remember once reading an article about the doughnuts at Haymishe Bagel Shop, which though famous for its bagels does have other sweets, and thinking it only fair that I try them. After all, I love doughnuts. Hot and fresh doughnuts flying off the shelves is taking that love to a whole new level. The location, however, was never convenient; I'm never in the area and so I decided to wait, not knowing that a fire would force the place to close down. Three fires, three bakeries on the Cake Tour... I know I'm unlucky, but surely it can't be me. :(
Nonetheless, Haymishe reopened and one of my regular baked goods suppliers was in the area... and didn't get any doughnuts. But maybe they're limited time only or sell out fast? I'm sure they would have been bought if they were there. Besides the occasional doughnut, they have other treats such as cookies, buns, and muffins. The prices for the buns in particular are a little steep, but they're big and heavy -- always a good sign.

Although I'm always the big poppy seed bun fan, this time around the chocolate buffalo turned out better. The poppy seed filling was good, with a generous mass of  poppy seed; a little grainy, perhaps. The dough and icing had more of a generic taste. Tasty, but not the best I've had (especially in the neighbourhood).
The chocolate buffalo was, I hate to say it, more notable with a denser dough, tasty chocolate filling, and a nice crumble sprinkled on top. Both items were good, but not as amazing as some neighbouring bakeries. :P

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment