Sabor Latino

Bakery: Sabor Latino 
Address: 436 Rue Bélanger, Montreal QC 
Website: http://saborlatino.ca
Style: South American 
Price:

This was an unexpected find upon deciding to walk one metro station down and instead explore the area -- so glad I did! Sabor Latino is a pan-South American supermarket with an in-house bakery that seems to be running at full speed throughout the day, judging by the trays of fresh baked goods and buns constantly coming in from the kitchen. Even on a mid-day, the place was bustling with not only customers taking advantage of the bulk deals on sweet buns, but with workers just bringing more and more out. The result: super fresh baked goods at ridiculously low prices. I mean, when was the last time you paid $0.50 for anything (and it wasn't at a Chinese bakery ;))?
The focus at Sabor Latino seems to be sweet buns, often with little embellishment except sugar, and stuffed items: danishes and churros filled with dulce de leche or cream as well as cake slices (guava and pineapple) behind the counter, though these aren't as dirt cheap. I'm not sure why I was drawn to the buns, but I was. It was also one of the few things I could actually access without needing to plow past workers unloading their carts. :/
Unbeknownst to me, I ended up picking a Guatemalan sweet bread with sugar ($0.50) and Mexican concha ($0.75). Both were super soft and had the aroma of fresh baked bread; in fact, it didn't get any fresher than this. Amazing texture, great taste. I started with the sugar bread and thought it had to be my favourite until I bit into the concha. That topping.... so good! I ate both of these tasty treats in no time. What a find!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment