Dutch Bakery & Coffee Shop

Bakery: Dutch Bakery & Coffee Shop
Address: 718 Fort St, Victoria BC 
Website: http://thedutchbakery.com/
Style: Dutch, Canadian 
Price: $$

I am now coast to coast! From St. John's on the Atlantic to Victoria on the Pacific and a couple locations in between. Couple hundred, I mean. :P Ooh, I've just been on fire lately; great things have to be in store for the Cake Tour! One day, even if I have to bake a cake myself in Iqaluit (of course one needs to be able to afford the plane ticket first), perhaps I'll be coast to coast... coast! *-*

Anyways, the first stop in Victoria was the Dutch Bakery, a bakery as well as restaurant serving sandwiches and burgers. But I mean, who cares about burgers when you have baked goods? Dutch Bakery has quite the selection of cookies, squares, and simple, typically Canadian pastries. As the name makes pretty obvious, there are also many of the most well known Dutch goodies, indicated by a little Dutch flag on the label. Everything, by the way, is clearly labelled and moderately priced.
The pick today was two unique treats: the porcupine and the parliament (but wait, isn't that thing in Victoria the legislature....?). The porcupine was, if I remember correctly, a chocolate-coated cake dough with a bit of cream and slivered almonds that don't exactly look like quills. ;) The unique find was without a doubt the parliament, which was part cake, part cookie with layers of wafer, nuts, and marzipan (I think...). Both were tasty, as these kinds of treats go, but neither seemed to amaze me. Perhaps next time I would take something else? Like one of those little Dutch flagged signs. :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment