Rustic Bread Bakery

 Bakery: Rustic Bread Bakery 
Address: 7487 Edmonds St J, Burnaby, BC 
Website: facebook
Style: Balkan, Serbian
Price: $$ 

With my Vancouver bakeries really starting to look impressive, I thought it only fair to devote a little more effort to some of the surrounding suburbs. Rustic Bread was picked out because it was the closest bakery to where I was staying and it was open on a holiday Monday. Two things working in their favour. Of course, it's always nice to enjoy some old-school ethnic baking as well~

Rustic Bread is a small Balkan bakery with an equally small selection of traditional sweet and savoury baked goods; as the name indicates, however, it is mostly bread. Sweets include a few slices of cake along with rolls and flaky dough stuffed with a variety of fillings.
I was intrigued by the sour cherry baklava ($3.50), an unlikely combination of two things I happen to like. To be fair, I'm not sure if I would necessarily call it a baklava. Maybe sour cherry filo pastry would be enough to get the idea across? Nevertheless, this was layers of flaky filo dough rolled around a tart yet sweet cherry filling with some nuts and sugar syrup that maybe did add to this baklava element. Whatever it was, it was good!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment