Patisserie Akatuki* [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Patisserie Akatuki* 
Address: 20 Chome-2-1 Minami 2 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Website: instagram 
Style: Japanese, Cakes
Price: $$

Akatuki* is a tiny bakery that specializes mostly in equally tiny cakes, though they also have ice cream and a few loaf cakes and cookies along with gourmet sandwiches. But really, you can't go into this place without being lured in by their lovely - and some of them absolutely adorable - cakes; they're also fairly well-priced.
I have to confess that I'm not the biggest chocolate cake fan, especially when there are other options like cheesecake, green tea or vanilla available, but I took one look into the eyes of this bashful little bear and I knew I had to have it. Yes, it was love at first sight when I spotted the Teddy cake (360 yen). This dome-shaped cake consisted of thick chocolate buttercream icing decoratively slathered around to make the bear's "fur" and equally rich chocolate sponge cake underneath. You could taste the quality, but, as tasty and cute as it was, I found the cake itself fairly one-dimensional. Maybe this was due to the fact that the icing was overpowering the rest of the cake? Or it needed something else on the inside - a fruit layer? Any sort of filling?

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment