Fuwamochi-tei [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Fuwamochi-tei (ふわもち) 
Address: 3 Chome-8 Minami 1 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Website: http://www.fuwamochi-tei.com/
Style: Doughnuts, Japanese 
Price: $$ 

Located in the basement of Mitsukoshi department store (on the splendid confectionery floor~), it's easy to walk past this little booth and write it off as another one of those ready-made gift box-selling franchises. In essence, with everything located behind the counter (and on the bottom at that) they don't have a typical bakery vibe and if it's very crowded (as it seemed to be on my visit), the line of customers actually blocks the shelves of delectable goodies; even worse, come in the evening and those shelves are pretty cleaned out. Nevertheless, Fuwamochi-tei is an independent business (a very rare find for department store bakeries) specializes in things with holes. :D That is, doughnuts and bagels. The doughnuts come in several innovative varieties and are deceitfully more complex than they seem, as many are also stuffed!
Of course I didn't know that and I didn't have enough time to methodically decipher the signs (my kana was feeling very rusty at that point in the journey), so I was debating between two white chocolate glazed doughnuts, topped with different kinds of nuts. Which one to go with? Unbeknownst to me, I ended up with the banana white chocolate and almond doughnut (226 yen). Because I don't really like bananas. Not a fan of banana bread and definitely not a fan of banana cream pie, so biting into this incredibly soft and fluffy doughnut and encountering a banana custard was such a party pooper! I mean, the dough was amazing and so fresh; the white chocolate and almonds on top had just the right consistency and subtle flavours. The cream did grow on me eventually, because I couldn't deny how good a doughnut this was, but taking another look at the full menu, I realized I ended up with the worst flavour combination! Banana.... why of all things it had to be banana.... This could have very well been a 4-star doughnut!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment