Boulangerie Coron [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Boulangerie Coron (ブーランジェリー コロン)
Address: 4 Chome-1, Kita 2 Jonishi, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Website: http://www.coron-pan.com
Style: Japanese
Price: $$

A Sapporo bakery with 4 locations, mostly within walking distance of one another, and 1 bread-oriented restaurant, Coron is a bread bakery specializing in rustic breads and their signature mini baguettes stuffed with a variety of mostly savoury and semi-sweet (since nothing can really qualify as dessert-level) fillings. In addition to this lineup, they have a few teeny tiny French pastries (croissants and pain au chocolat) and sweet "pan", but in my opinion they're not worth it. Coron seems best enjoyed on a partially full stomach (ha ha ha) since there really aren't any hearty or filling baked goods like you'll find at other bakeries.
Unfortunately, I arrived at Coron feeling super hungry. I hadn't even planned on eating it right away, but I needed to just sit down and have something. As such, I wasn't in the mood for their cookie-sized melon pan and the most substantial sweet option was one of those signature mini baguettes; I took the matcha milk (248 yen). The first bite was weird. My initial thought was whoa, this does not match at all, because not only was the bread itself not sweet at all, it had the chewy, dense texture of a fougasse or ciabatta, both of which you only really associate with savoury flavours. However, bit by bit it started growing on me; I did like the texture of the bread and even more so the matcha milk cream filling was really good. I would have loved to see it in more than just plain bread. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it turned out alright in the end.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment