Ian Cakery

Bakery: Ian Cakery 
Address: 1100 Burnhamthorpe Rd W Unit 26, Mississauga ON
Website: https://www.iancakery.ca/
Style: Cakes, Chinese 
Price: $$$-$$$$ 

This small Chinese cake shop selling premium custom-order and wedding cakes quietly opened its doors several months ago. Though the retail space appears to be a cafe and dessert spot (with seating), there really isn't that much available for you to actually want to sit there and enjoy on location. When I decided to check it out, the single display case looked a bit on the barren side and had a couple cakes (including some sort of pork floss cake O.o) along with more Japanese-style cream puffs and cheese tarts, so the selection for a casual passerby is minimal.
I felt almost obliged to try the cream puff ($3-something), mostly because it was the only individual treat available; it also happened to be the only one that was decently priced. Cakes start at $50+. With its exclusive and overall intimidating feeling, I'll admit that I was skeptical. After all, I've been to some of these places that charge more appearance's sake but doesn't necessarily produce something that's better tasting or better quality. I still had a bitter, artificially coloured taste in my mouth from my last visit to a "higher-end Chinese dessert shop". However, these cream puffs were the real deal: that nice crunch on the outside of the light-as-air choux pastry with a delicious, slightly textured crumble topping. Inside, the green tea cream was very good; it could have used even more green tea for a stronger matcha flavour, but it was tasty. I only wish they had more selection, because they  seem to know what they're doing!

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment