Moon Over Naikoon Bakery

Bakery: Moon Over Naikoon Bakery 
Address: Towhill Rd, Masset BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$$ 

So what if I did go to Haida Gwaii just to go this bakery? Okay, maybe I'm not as far gone as that, but I'll confess that I was once investigating bakeries in cool places on Google Maps and this place came up. Zooming in to find it was located on the northern tip of Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlotte Islands, I absolutely knew I had to go. After all, not only is this one of the most far out bakeries in terms of location, it's also pretty far out in terms of concept and simply overall cool factor. I mean, Moon Over Naikoon is a bakery in a repurposed school bus. In the middle of the woods. Mega cool factor!

I planned my trip several months in advance and over the course of these few months I could not wait to put this bakery on my map. In this sense, it was a bit of a let down to discover that the bus bakery didn't really have all that much in it. Yes, it was pretty amazing with its quirky hippie decor, but a large part of the already crammed space was dedicated to seating and the shelves with the baked goods were already pretty empty - come on, I came before lunch! Having read about their fantastic cinnamon buns, I even specifically asked for them, only to find out there were none left. Besides that, there were some cookies and two types of squares.
 I took a lemon square and a butter tart ($3 each). The lemon square soft and creamy with a dash of sourness. It wasn't too sweet so you could really get a hint of that citrus flavour, though I wasn't a big fan of the shredded coconut mixed into it - are lemon squares supposed to have coconut? I feel like I was a little tricked on that one.
 The butter tart, on the other hand, had a great flaky shell, but the filling had been over-baked? The top was too brittle and the filling appeared to have evaporated, since all that was left behind was raisins in a sort of mush. Great one to tick off the bakery bucket list, but what I really wanted was a cinnamon bun....

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment