Angela's Place

Bakery: Angela's Place Social Cafe and Fuel Station
Address: 211 Grouse St., Port Clements BC 
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$$ 

As luck would have it, we pulled over in Port Clements and, while I was waiting, I flipped through the Haida Gwaii travel magazine and spotted an ad for Angela's Place which mentioned something about famous - I swear it was even "world-famous" - carrot cake. Odds could not have stacked more in my favour; I turned around and popped into this unlikely spot for a Cake Tour.

Angela's Place is, after all, a gas station with a very small convenience store and diner inside the building. But they do also bake a very small number of treats sold at the cash. I was only expecting that famous carrot cake, so I was pleasantly surprised to not only find some sort of muffins and scones, but... apple fritters. Carrot cake and apple fritters - what a winning combination of goodies up for sale!
 I took both (a rather steep $8 in total; no prices are listed). I mean, I had to try that carrot cake, but at the same time, how could I pass up an apple fritter looking like this? Big and chunky with pull-apart clusters of dough and apples and glaze on top. Fried golden brown (my only complaint was that it was a little too overdone; the outside could have been a little less crusty and greasy) and soft on the inside.
The carrot cake was a classic cake with moist, spongy dough with lots of carrot that you could see - I always like that. There was just the right amount of simple cream cheese icing on top. A classic done right; maybe "world-famous" is a bit of a stretch, but it was a great - and unexpected - find!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment