Sigurjónsbakarí [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Sigurjónsbakarí
Address: Hólmgarði 2, Reykjanesbær
Website: http://www.sigurjonsbakari.net/
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

And my taking over Iceland, one bakery at a time, continues onto the Reykjanes! ;) I'll admit that my brother actually did the purchasing this time around, though I had the honours of eating, ha ha... and he remarked how amazed he was that in a town as utterly dead and unpeopled as Reykjanesbær, the bakery was pretty busy and pretty stocked with all the breads and baked goods I've come to love and expect from Icelandic bakeries: kleinur, those famous giant cinnamon buns (that I was recently told aren't actually *cinnamon* buns, but just giant buns... I guess it shows how often I bought them :P) and long slabs of vínarbrauð. It was the latter I had the honour of trying.
This came in two varieties (though not sure if the chocolate variety had its own name): the traditional one with cream centre and the classic strawberry and chocolate icing down one side. Top that off rock sugar and slivered almonds. The latter two were a bit lacking on this one, except for a pool of hardened sugar that got spilled down and settled near the cream. That unexpected crunch wasn't the best sensation. The dough itself got soggy very quickly and much of the flakiness flaked off.
The chocolate version was, in a word, chocolatey. In addition to chocolate icing being slathered all over the top, this danish was stuffed with it to the point of oozing out. Rich and sweet, there was a nice amount of almonds on this one and great flaky texture -- the only thing is that this is so one for the chocoholic, and that is not me. 

This bakery falls into the good category: nothing out-of-your-way spectacular, but tasty, dependable Icelandic baked goods. This opinion might also be due to the fact that I just had four baked goods in one day for the sake of the Cake Tour... and this was not a very smart thing to do. I don't feel very good right now.... :(

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment