Boulangerie Artisinale La Pétrie

Bakery: Boulangerie Artisinale La Pétrie 
Address: 128 av. Grand-Pré, Bonaventure QC
Website: http://www.boulangerieartisanalelapetrie.com/
Style: French, Canadian, Acadian
Price: $$-$$$

And so the tour continues... Setting out from the town of Gaspé and heading through the already toured town of Percé, I was getting rather alarmed at not being able to find any bakeries from this drive towards Carleton-sur-Mer. Going through busier centres like Chandler should have garnered some results... surely I must have missed something. Nevertheless, the Acadian hub of the peninsula, Bonaventure, was a must-stop. This artisan bakery tucked along the town's main street is charming in itself, though signage makes it very hard to identify it as a bakery. Had I not known what I was looking for -- and even then I did miss it and had to turn around -- there is no indication this is a bakery until you're standing dead smack in the front door or carefully examining the lettering on the sign (ironically, I forgot to take a photo in the confusion and used the Google street view... where there is a chalkboard out front *sighs*)
Anyways, as with most bakeries calling themselves artisan, the focus is indeed on the bread, which lines the walls; however, there is always hope. :P Hope in the form of a few varieties of classic viennoiseries along with slices of loaf cakes, like banana bread. The little display case in one corner also houses fancier tarts and cakes. Not a lot, but a little bit of everything: priced and labelled.

 Bypassing the baked goods this time around (hard, I know), I went for this raspberry clafoutis (the price listed was $4, but at the cash I realized only afterwards that I was charged $4.25 -_-). Perhaps a little deceitfully bigger than it is: the bottom side is curved upwards like a doughnut, but still a generously-sized, fluffy and moist cake filled with small, flavourful raspberries that could only be local. A clafoutis that I could just keep eating and eating. Mmmm... in the end, I actually got three bakeries that day -- this was the best.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment