Restaurant Roklubben [Mimi's World Tour]

It's my 500th review! Let's celebrate with doughnut numbers!!!! ^-^ Alright, maybe it's a pretty pathetic reward for scouring the somewhat-world for 500 bakeries and treat makers in a matter of six years, but we need something. Not to mention that the 500th review has to be someplace special; that it had to be from my Icelandic series of bakeries still needing to be reviewed seemed a matter of course until I thought: no, wait! it might just have to be my coolest (both literally and figuratively, oddly enough) review to date! You don't get a cake tour from Greenland every day, at least not until I go there myself, but even then I would be limited to a single location unless I somehow find a bazillion dollars I don't know what to do with.... Anyways, here's to 500 reviews and 500 more! I've only touched the very tip of the iceberg, after all! ;P






Bakery: Restaurant Roklubben 
Address: Shore of Lake Ferguson, Kangerlussuaq
Website: http://wogac.com/restaurant
Style: Greenlandic 
Price: $$-$$$ 

While in Iceland, a good friend of mine -- and now the MOST AMAZING Cake Tour accomplice EVER -- went on a trip to Greenland and not only had a cake for the sake of the Cake Tour (we'll just write it like that, even though that is so not true. Cake just had to be had; no explanation or excuse was or is ever needed), but brought ME back a slice. From Greenland. I ATE a cake from GREENLAND! I was in heaven and heaven was a giant island made of ice and I was so grateful I thought I would just squeal and cry all at the same time. Just thinking about it puts in me in a state of ecstatic shock. I am SO happy!! Thank you, a million times "takk" for this cake tour! :)
 Given the size of Kangerlussuaq and its remoteness, the fact that there is no bakery came as absolutely no surprise. Actually, I checked the population and thought that it would be impossible and all my dreams of Greenlandic cakedom went down the drain. I had no hopes whatsoever.
However, there came one pleasant surprise courtesy of Restaurant Roklubben, a restaurant around 5km from town which makes their own cakes, namely what they call a crowberry pie (78kr)! Cake. Local berries. Greenland. It could have been gross and I would have given them bonus points just for those three together. Except the cake was insanely good, even after having been smushed on the plane ride back. It was the kind of cake I would take over a creamy torte any day: moist buttery sponge cake filled with slightly tart, super flavourful crowberries served with a dollop of whipped cream (I'm enclosing the original presentation with fruit salad and garnish along with my friend's surprise recreation/reconstruction). Mmmmm... I could have eaten the whole pan. Simple, so simple, and yet incredibly delicious.

Until we eat again, Greenland~! :)

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment