Lucie's Bakery & Deli [RIP]

Bakery: Lucie's Bakery & Deli 
Address: 1479 Gordon St, Guelph ON
Website: http://www.luciesbakery.com/
Style: North American 
Price: $

Kahlua and toffee square, but where's the Kahlua?
And with this post, we have a tag for Guelph. :) It's really amazing how large my list of towns and cities with more than two bakeries in them has gotten! Wow...

And before I get too emotional, let's get back to Lucie's. One Monday in the summer, I was brought back baked goods from Guelph. Other Guelph must-visits were closed and so I got a couple of fairly homestyle baked goods courtesy of Lucie's. I've long been researching noteworthy bakeries in the area and, truth be told, Lucie's website makes it look like a cake place I can't say it made me think that they had anything else besides custom cakes and the Montreal-style bagels, but it seems it was worth poking your head. The fare at Lucie's is fairly straightforward and, with several variants of the brownie, appeals either to kids or the kid in us. I'll admit I wasn't too intrigued, but in the end, it wasn't at all bad.

Is there anything under all that icing? ;)
The first item was the classic cinnamon bun ($1.49) with generous petals of cream cheese icing on top. Good, slightly flaky dough with a nice amount of cinnamon that wasn't too gooey; in my opinion, the massive flower of icing was too much. The cream cheese icing lover hotly disagreed, so I suppose it's a matter of preference.

The winning brownie... or rather, blondie
There were also two somewhat-variations on the brownie: one the Kahlua toffee bar and the other a blondie ($2.25 each). Cutting these up and turning it into a bit of a contest, I got three others in addition to myself to try these out and see which was better. Both had a great chewy texture that I love in my brownie: a slightly harder top that you just break into to get to the soft and chewy middle (a sign that they were fresh) and a pretty good flavour. They aren't fancy pastries, to be sure, but it wasn't a supermarket brownie either. Which is a relief. The verdict: 3/4 agreed (myself included) that the blondie, with its chunks of walnut and dollops of icing and lighter dough was the champ. Strangely enough, since I'm always one for alcohol in my baked goods, I found the blondie more complex than the Kahlua toffee square, which lacked the Kahlua taste I was somewhat (understandably so) hoping for.

Overall, contrary to how they advertise their cakes, Lucie's isn't anything elaborate, but it does offer simple, relatively tasty treats.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment