Kaffihúsið [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kaffihúsið
Address: Bryggjubakki 14, Tórshavn
Website: http://kaffihusid.fo/ 
Style: Faroese, Scandinavian
Price: $$$

The fact they had this = bonus points
Well, well, well! I hope you didn't think you'd get away with not having a World Tour this year. ;) I myself feared it wouldn't happen, but I managed to come out with a couple exciting spots from this year's newest destination: the Faroe Islands. Yup, the Faroe Islands. My last Scandinavian destination (if you exclude Greenland, but that will be done eventually) and a downright impressive Cake Tour if you ask me! :)

This was obviously my first opportunity to try Faroese baked goods and, with such strong ties to Denmark, I was not surprised to find bakeries selling very Danish treats such as spandauer, "cream balls", or cinnamon "snails". Now, as a big fan of Danish baked goods, I had nothing wrong with that. ;) While there aren't very many actual bakeries in Tórshavn, the world's smallest capital city, and the country as a whole, the Faroese seem to uphold the tradition of the "fika" (alas, I only know the Swedish word), the afternoon coffee-and-a-sweet break, with cafes offering homemade cakes in the smallest of towns, often in someone's house. Of course, the "city" has far more approachable options and pretty Kaffihúsið, located along the old port, is not only one of them, but one of the chicer choices. 


I always play it safe, you see. :P
These guys advertise themselves as a patisserie and while this may not be the most accurate word to use, given they offer no takeaway options and only have a handful of cake slices for sale at the cafe, it's still cake available in interesting flavours such as licorice cheesecake, rhubarb or just classic chocolate. And all are a rather wince-worthy (at least for poor tourists) 45kr per slice -- this isn't listed anywhere on their menu. Add a coffee and I paid 75kr for my coffee break. And though it hurt, I did a 7km hike that day and deserved it. :P

Nevertheless, I got a rhubarb mousse cake, which I know I won't find anywhere else. I kind of thought it a little too similar in taste to other mousse cakes with its standard vanilla sponge cake dough and the soft, fruity mousse on top, but it was quite good nonetheless. Perhaps I'd never say it was rhubarb without knowing beforehand; I would have liked some of that sourness, but it was a tasty, real-tasting (sometimes a problem with mousse cakes) creamy rhubarb mousse on top and a smaller sliver of chocolate on the bottom. Top it off with a sprinkling of dark chocolate pellets which went really well with the rhubarb and some marzipan and jam accents. Pretty good, but not my favourite from my tour of the Faroes.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment