Laggan's Mountain Bakery [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Laggan's Mountain Bakery & Delicatessen
Address: 101 Village Rd, Lake Louise AB
Website: http://www.laggans.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

Classic butter tart
I've seen European bakeries, fine bakeries, but this is the first time I've seen a "mountain bakery" and I'm not exactly sure what that means....

Anyways, we dropped into Laggan's on our way back from Jasper, because we thought it would give the Cake Tour some cool factor; well, we kind of knew we would be in trouble if we didn't go to this one [editor's note: at least they're bright enough to see that...]. I didn't really expect a bakery right in the middle of the Lake Louise village, but it was there alright. Except, like other national park stops in Banff and Jasper, I thought Laggan's more of a lunch stop than an actual bakery you go to for sweets, though they had all the "Canadian classics": butter tarts, date squares, etc.

Nutella square
I took a butter tart, because I like Western butter tarts better than the fatter crust versions sold in Ontario bakeries. This one was relatively good with a pie-ish crust, jelly-like butter and raisin filling. Okay price. 

Their signature Nutella squares (that's what the sign said, so I thought I might as well try it) were not bad. I'm not really a fan of chewy, gooey squares and it was a little too sweet, so I'd just go with okay. I probably wouldn't take it again, though.

... and the date square
The last square was, I'm pretty sure, a date square. In my opinion, it needed more topping, at least a more hearty topping. I like having that granola feeling, with thick oats on my date squares and this one was too fine/dusty. Okay taste, but not enough substance for the date filling.

Laggan's is probably best as a lunch or breakfast stop and sure beats the super unhealthy fast food (burgers and pizza) that you're pretty much stuck with when travelling through Canada; the baked goods can make a good dessert, but not sure if it's worth a deliberate stop.

Rating: **1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment