Kuiper's Family Bakery [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Kuiper's Family Bakery
Address: 1411 1st St., Brandon MB
Website: n/a 
Style: Dutch, Canadian 
Price:

The prairies seem to be dotted with random "Dutch" bakeries; at least, that's how it seemed based on the guide we were given. We ended up going to two. Actually, at this point, I wasn't really paying attention to the bakery list, but we turned in to Brandon to look for somewhere to eat lunch and found a pretty good burger place. Kuiper's was pretty much down the street so I thought we might as well go. At least it was better than having to purposefully turn off.... [editor's note: I really don't like the attitude in these posts *glares*]

Don't really remember the first one...
Kuiper's had a good range of Canadian classics (lots of squares and cookies), plus bread. I'm not sure how Dutch it was (the guide said it was Dutch and the K seems to be the arms of a windmill...), seeing as I don't know that much about Dutch baking. But I like Dutch baking; I like Dutch apple cakes (the big tarts with apples on top?) and almond tarts. This bakery was also pretty cheap: we paid $1 per square. They weren't big, but I didn't really have a big appetite for baked goods anymore. [I'm trying to ignore this comment]

I got the apple square (apple cake?), which was good. It was flaky with a cream cheese top, so it was a little like a carrot cake, except the cake was more of a spice cake with apples. But I liked it: the cream cheese icing with the apples and a dense spice dough on the bottom, it's just the kind of thing I like (because I really like carrot cake).

We also tried another square and there's a photo of it, but looking at it draws a blank. I don't remember anything about it. It had a strange crumble on top and some sort of filling that on the picture looks like a butter or pecan tart. The other correspondent can't remember anything about it either.... I guess it wasn't memorable, either in a good or bad sense. [I just want to cry!!! :(] But I liked Kuiper's; it was good, home-style baking and was my favourite bakery we went to in Manitoba (except we went to two).

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment