La Boulangerie [International Correspondent]

Bakery: La Boulangerie 
Address: 2435 4 St. SW, Calgary AB 
Website: n/a
Style: French 
Price: $$$-$$$$

The fruit tart was good
We were staying close to this place and decided that we could try it for breakfast one day, although I wasn't sure how French the baked goods would be. My French is really bad, but even I thought the name pretty lame and it made me a little suspicious, but it turned out to be pretty impressive and authentic with a good selection of French breads, fancy tarts, and cakes. It was also pretty expensive (that's authentic...), despite being served on paper plates.

I had a fruit tart. This was very good: it had a good crust and nice filling with different berries (straw-, blue-, cran- and blackberries) that made it both sweet and tart. I liked it and would definitely take it again.

Pear tart was... okay
The second was the pear "tart" (I'm not sure what to call it), which wasn't so good. Unlike the fruit tart, the pear tart used flaky dough, like in danishes or maybe like in napoleons, and spread out thinly sliced pears on top and then there was a clear glaze over both fruit and dough. I think it's hard to make anything with pear have flavour, since pears on their own are pretty bland, so I thought it needed some sort of punch besides plain dough. I tried a pear tart somewhere else and they put orange peel with it; that was really good. This was okay, but I thought lacked that something to make it pop.

La Boulangerie was pretty good for someone who likes and appreciates French baking, but it wasn't really amazing enough to be worth the price.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment