I Jy Sheng [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: I Jy Sheng (一之軒信義店)
Address: No. 226, Section 2, Xinyi Road, Da’an District, Taipei 
Style: Chinese
Price: $$
 
I have to admit that I Jy Sheng was one of the bakeries I was avoiding on my trip; like Sun Merry or 85℃ (both of which I did manage to purposely overlook), it falls into the category of what I like to call a commercial bakery. They're like the fast food chain equivalent of a bakery and these are the big three: they've got it all and they're regularly restocking though the baked goods seem to come delivered more than baked. Like Sun Merry, I Jy Sheng has a wide assortment of gift boxes, though without a doubt most people are there for the standard baked goods lining the walls along with a few seasonal/special items. Given they don't really scream artisan bakery, they should be cheaper. Otherwise I don't really see the appeal, besides the fact that your only competition on this portion of Xinyi Rd, right next to Da'an Forest Park is well, Sun Merry. 
Of the two, I Jy Sheng had more people rushing to it, so I went to see what all the hype was about. Deciding to go with one of their limited items (at least there was some sort of display created in honour of them), I picked out the chocolate orange bun ($38). From the outside, this looked like a sort of marble/half-half bun. The combination of chocolate and orange is a good one, but I was disappointed upon biting inside that the "orange" dough was literally just that swirl on top. The rest of the bun was pure chocolate! The texture on top was nice, but beyond that, it was just a big ball of typical, slightly "foamy" sweet bread. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment