Wow Bakery

Bakery: Wow Bakery
Address: 6455 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary AB (Chinook Mall)
Style: Korean, North American
Price: $$ 
 
I certainly didn't expect to find a Korean bakery chain in Calgary, much less for them to have a location in what is probably the city's best mall (especially given the fact that they also have a location directly across the street on one of the many plazas along Macleod Trail). They also have another location in trendy Marda Loop. Is there really such a demand for red bean pastries and hot dog croquettes? Of course, they're not entirely an "ethnic" bakery seeing as they have quite the selection of universal cake flavours and other baked goods, even in their tiny mall location (I also visited the Marda Loop one and they seemed to have more selection there). 
I first tried the red bean doughnut, a puck-shaped doughnut that in my opinion really should not have been in the plastic bag for as long as it had. Plastic wrapped buns are fine, but oil and granulated sugar in a bag, it all starts melting and you lose that nice crunch on the outside that I went in doughnuts of these kind. Pretty good, though. 
I also took the matcha cream roll, which also happened to have red beans on the inside. Though I swear it didn't say so on the label. I'm not a fan of whole red beans. In this case, I don't know if they didn't use azuki beans, but these were the largest red beans I've ever encountered in all my bakery tours. They looked like kidney beans and were so big and meaty, like something in a chili, I had to take them all out. It ruined the more delicate flavour of the matcha and texture of that really very good cream (which was very milky, almost reminding me of soft ice cream). A bit of a shame. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment