Sheng Kee Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Sheng Kee Bakery (生計食品有限公司)
Address: No. 15, Section 3, Roosevelt Rd, Da’an District, Taipei 
Website: n/a 
Style: Chinese
Price: $$ 
 
When trying to locate this bakery for the purpose of my review, I discovered that Sheng Kee happens to be a bakery chain in California; I wonder if the two are related. Given the lack of a website or additional information and how long the bakery has been in business, it could go either way. Unlike most Taiwanese bakeries, where "bread" is the highlight, this is what I call a gift-box bakery. Perhaps confectionery would be more appropriate? At any rate, a place that is more known for its traditional Chinese pastries, all wrapped in plastic baggies and packed in pretty gift boxes. Of course, they still do sell bread (most in bagged multi-packs) and some cakes and sandwiches, but not a lot. I found the place rather empty, both in terms of selection and customers. 
It's always frustrating that the more traditional pastries are never designed for individual consumption. I just want to try one, not buy the nicely packaged gift box or big bags of eight. And they're never really appealing when they're all hermetically sealed; it never looks fresh. Out of their wall of individual, freshly-baked items, the most unique was their selection of mini muffins, available in three flavours ($20 each). I'd yet to see muffins. As expected, the texture of the muffins was more a pound cake than a more dense muffin dough: spongy and moist, rather sweet. One was walnut and the other turned out to be banana bread. Not being a fan of bananas, I regretted not getting the other one (chocolate chip), but I liked the walnut one. I would, however, probably take something else on a return trip. 

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment