MySweeTooth

 Bakery: MySweeTooth
Address: 301 Main St W, Hamilton, ON 
Style: Asian 
Price: $$$$

This Asian-fusion bakery/cafe isn't exactly new, but it's taken me this long to review it because I was waiting for it to actually be open! For the longest time, this place had the goofiest hours and was closed on both Saturdays and Sundays. I mean, what kind of Asian food business is closed the entire weekend!? When else do you go to a dessert place? At last, however, they did decide to open Saturday afternoons and I had a chance to finally visit this place. Not exactly a bakery in the truest sense of the word, MySweeTooth (yes, one word, no T on Sweet) specializes in dainty Asian-inspired - or perhaps you could say Westernized Asian? - cakes and pastries with a decidedly Japanese undertone that I guess is the perfect complement to some bubble tea or other tea drinks. In addition to its previously inaccessible store hours, another drawback is the price. This place is expensive. Jaw-dropping expensive. Spending close to $50 for four pastries made me want to cry... 
I took three different items: the so-called "snow cube", a matcha crepe cake and two flavours of their cream puffs. The first was actually a cube-shaped cheesecake coated in a powder. It certainly looked more unusual than it actually was, especially once you cut it open to reveal a classic, creamy Asian-style cheesecake. I wasn't the biggest fan of the powder coating, which had a bit of a weird taste and texture. 
The matcha crepe cake ($9) was the loveliest and tastiest of the bunch, but in my opinion, it was hard to appreciate all the effort they put into making this cake. The dozen or so crepe layers were so paper-thin that when you ate it, all you felt and tasted in your mouth was all that matcha cream (and thick vanilla cream on the outside); the crepe simply disappeared and if that was the case it might as well have been a matcha mousse dessert. Kind of a shame. 
Lastly, the cream puffs ($5) come in a few flavours. I tried matcha and earl grey tea, I believe. Two types of tea, at any rate. This was quite good, but as with many cream puffs, I wish there wasn't *that* much cream; this is pretty much a thin shell filled to brim with cream. I end up scraping some of it out and I think the overwhelming amount of cream makes the dough get soggy incredibly quickly, especially on the bottom. Verdict: great variety for Hamilton, good taste, good quality, but feels like too much of a splurge!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment