Crown Pastries

Bakery: Crown Pastries
Address: 5083 Dixie Rd, Mississauga ON
Style: Middle Eastern, Syrian
Price: $$$ 

So someone wanted to get a baklava gift box and I couldn't help tagging along and giving this pastry shop a try. Unlike most Middle Eastern pastry shops, where the focus is without a doubt the baklava, the signature item here (at least they have a dedicated sign for it in the window) appears to be knafeh and a few other varieties of syrup-soaked, cheese-stuffed squares. But of course they still have many varieties of baklava along with a few buttery pastries and cookies - actually, one of my favourite items was their 'cream puff' (not pictured; called "shabiatt" in-store) with an incredible caramelized bottom. 
Those items that were pictured included all the varieties of squares I was talking about above. I'll admit that I did try knafeh before (a sort of cake made from syrupy semolina and filled with gooey cheese) and wasn't a fan. Seeing as it wasn't at a pastry shop, I thought I'd give it another try. Um, I think I have to admit defeat. This was better than the first one, but I just can't get over the combination of sweet, crumbly dough and that gummy, almost mozzarella-like cheese. 
There were two other squares: the one with stringy kataifi dough on top was filled with a creamier fresh cheese; this I preferred, but I still wasn't the biggest fan of the filling. Despite others liking this one the best, I liked the date-stuffed square the best. 
However, the best thing I got from this bakery had to be these pistachio "cookies": bite-sized, syrup-soaked nutty nuggets wrapped in filo dough. The texture was incredible. I started with just trying one and couldn't stop. Honestly, I would go back and just get a whole box of these next time, they were that good! 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment