Xindong Wang Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Xindong Wang Bakery (新東王烘焙坊)
Address: No. 61, Section 1, Nanchang Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei
Style: Chinese
Price: $$

Given the fact that this bakery's sign has a huge "Baker" sign above it - easily twice the size of their name in Chinese - I was assuming that that was the name. Guess not. Obviously, the giant "Baker" sign is a beacon, letting you know from several blocks down that a bakery is up ahead... except that it worked, so I shouldn't be laughing too hard! Nonetheless, despite there being quite a number of bakeries down this very street and not too far from each other, this is a busy, fully-stocked bakery with probably the most traffic out of all the places I tried. Accordingly, they have a wide selection of classic bread and bun varieties along with quite a number of refrigerated cakes and pastries. If you're a chocolate fan, I felt like they have more chocolate items - from chocolate-stuffed bread to cream rolls - than average, but that might have just been my impression. 
One of the special/unique items there was their coffee cake, apparently known as "Grandma Cake" (老奶奶蛋糕; $45/slice). This is sold as slices and was quite a popular pick, so I figured it would be a good choice. I'm always happy to have something different and I appreciate these more home-style treats. This was a simple vanilla pound cake with a slightly tart lemon icing, whose tip somehow disappeared. It was a shame since it was good the cake was best when enjoyed together with the icing. Simple, maybe a bit unexciting, but I liked it - and was all too happy for something that wasn't bread. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment