Sharing Nature [Mimi's World Tour]


Bakery: Sharing Nature (善菓屋)
Address: 15-1 Nanjing West Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei
Style: Chinese, French
Price: $$$ 

Perhaps a case of the name lost in translation, I'm not sure how "Good Fruit House" turned into "Sharing Nature", but I suppose the latter is more appropriate for the concept. This bakery and soft ice cream shop with three locations in central Taipei has the goal of creating a "healthier" bakery; at any rate, no artificial flavours, quality, natural ingredients, etc. Of course, you often have to pay for quality and this is no exception; however, with their smattering of French-style baked good and perhaps a hint of Japanese bakery, the selection was a nice change. And, to tell the truth, it did look better than your average bakery, though they didn't have so much to offer - this may also be owing to the fact that they're located in the basement of a department store (Shin Kong Mitsukoshi, to be exact). 
Going with one of their more European baked goods, I went with the lemon croissant ($55). Really, it was only because the other flavour was more expensive and the other pastries cost even more. Many times I'm not a big fan of croissants, but I was very pleased with my purchase when I took it back and took one whiff of that delicious lemon aroma. The icing on top was so flavourful, with a hint of sourness that I even picked up the broken bits and ate them on their own. So good. The dough underneath was excellent. I had croissants and French pastries and, let's admit it, Asians sometimes can't get that flaky crunch right and they simply taste like imitations. This was delicious: fantastic crunch, rich buttery flavour and no weird or off-putting tastes you encounter. We can Share Nature but I'm not sharing this with anyone! ;) 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment